Devastating batsman, the world’s best finisher, India’s most successful wicketkeeper by number of dismissals, India’s most successful captain across all three formats of the game – we’re all familiar with tales of Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s prowess on the field. But how many of us know about the struggle that preceded his success?
From small-town ticket collector to India team captain, Dhoni's journey to fame is about following his passion. With hard work and perseverance, he’s proven that when you #LoveWhatYouDo, you’ll always score big.
These inspirational words from MSD explain why we all must follow our passion:
1. Those who knew him when he was a railway ticket-collector recall how Dhoni cycled around town and played cricket with tennis balls on practically every ground in and around Kharagpur, West Bengal. His enthusiasm, zeal, drive and motivation helped through his struggles to build a career in cricket. When you #LoveWhatYouDo, you’ll always keep your eye on the ball.
2. The Indian captain kept wickets despite an injury to his eye during the recent Zimbabwe tour when most others would have retired hurt. After all, if you #LoveWhatYouDo, you’ll always be committed to seeing your tasks through.
3. A London School of Marketing study places his net worth in 2016 at a reported $31 million, of which $27 million came from endorsements. But for Dhoni, who has always said it’s important to #LoveWhatYouDo, real riches lay elsewhere.
4. Dhoni wasn’t at his wife’s side when his first child, daughter Ziva, was born in 2015 since he was playing the World Cup in Australia. If you #LoveWhatYouDo, you find the strength to make personal sacrifices.
5. In the book Mahi: The Story of India’s Most Successful Captain (Roli Books, 2013), author Shantanu Guha Ray describes how Dhoni was a good student who sometimes got poor marks in Science and Mathematics. When that happened, he always managed to internalize the feedback of his teachers to come back with better marks in the next exam. Self-analysis and criticism is something Dhoni still takes seriously after all these years irrespective of the results of a game and is a big reason for his success. As Dhoni proves, you constantly strive for improvement when you #LoveWhatYouDo.
6. Shoaib Akhtar once said about Dhoni, “He is one guy who doesn’t know the meaning of fear.” The hard knocks life throw at you can be tackled head-on when you #LoveWhatYouDo.
7. Despite the incredible pressure of captaincy, Dhoni seems unperturbed by the hopes of a billion-plus people resting on his sturdy shoulders. What’s the secret behind Captain Cool’s composure? #LoveWhatYouDo. When you find your true calling, you’re better equipped to deal with the stress on the job.
Image Source: Indiatimes
8. A small town boy from Ranchi became one of India’s greatest cricket captains because he worked hard and followed his dreams. If you #LoveWhatYouDo, all your efforts will help you excel.
Image Source: NDTV Sports
9. Dhoni’s philosophy in life has been to stay focused, have short-term goals and not look too much in future. Channeling your time, energy and efforts into things that really matter comes easy when you #LoveWhatYouDo.
Image Source: Deccan Chronicle
10. Good times won’t last forever and when the bad times come, you need to be prepared. Dhoni has always been a realist, but one who doesn’t allow negative thoughts to hamper his game. #LoveWhatYouDo, and you’ll always be a yae-sayer.
Image Source: First Post
MS Dhoni chose to follow his passion and did something that he loved #LoveWhatYouDo. Find a job that you'll love Click here.